diffs between kernel-source-2.4.22 and source of kernel-image-2.4.22?

Hi group,

Compiling my own kernel I ran into strange difficulties. I have a laptop
(asus L5800C) that's hit by the radeon driver bug resulting in black
screens with standard drivers, though I don't know if this is related...

Installing kernel-image-2.4.22 I can boot with vga=834 resulting in a
nice 1400x1050 framebuffer display with the vesa driver. However,
compiling a fresh kernel from kernel-source-2.4.22 (even with the same
config) results in a black screen. I can use vga=normal, so I know it
works. I took the time to compile from the sources of
kernel-image-2.4.22 which builds all kinds of kernels and took a _long_
time. However, that one boots fine.

So, there must be some differences, right? I know that the sources of
kernel-image are patched during the build process while the sources from
kernel-source are already patched, but that should result in the same
sources being used. Please enlighten me...

TIA,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!