Re: What is the difference between `Sid' and `unstable' ?

Thank for the reply.

Apt only knows what it is told about distributions/sources through their Release file. My Release file for unstable/main has:
Archive: unstable
Component: main
Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Architecture: i386

so those are the only distinguishing factors that I can use to differentiate that source. You can see what all your Release files say by looking through the files /var/lib/apt/lists/*Release .

Is there any kind od oddity here as
stable/testing/unstable are rather temporary synomynous ?

Thanks,
Jerome