Re: Do-all computer?

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 14:20, alex wrote:
> My current computer is an old Quantex that works very well with
> a variety of installed Linux systems (Debian, Progeny, Knoppix,
> Lycoris, Mandrake, and Libranet) as well as Windows 98SE.
> The only fault is that it is quite slow compared to the newer
> computers.  So, I would like to know if there are any new off shelf
> or mail order computers on the market today that will work well with
> all Linuxes and Windows.
>
> I don't care whether it is one with a preinstalled MS Windows XP or
> systemless or a preinstalled Linux, as long as it can be configured
> with multiple Linux systems and MS Windows XP or 98SE as my old
> Quantex is.
>
> I'd go for one that I need to assemble myself except that I have no
> idea how to recognize components that are suitable for Linux, ie,
> motherboard, modem,.......etc., especially the more recent faster
> items.  Something like 1.5 GHz CPU,  300 MHz FSB + for example:
>
> The criteria is, it should be able to handle multiple Linux
> installations plus MS Windows without resorting to special
> drivers such as needed with winmodems.
>
> Any recommendations---off-the-shelf or mail order, systemless or
> Linux or Windows installed, or do-it-yourself.

Anything modern-but-not-bleeding-edge will work fine with Linux.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment
by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."
Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)