Weird dependency problems installing mplayer...

I posted this once before, but figured it was worth another shot to see
if anyone could help, as I am still stuck...

I'm running testing. I was using mplayer and the mplayer-plugin for
mozilla just fine on my prior (athlon) system - I had mplayer-k7
installed.

I upgraded that system to a new mb and processor, so now it's a P4
system, and the installed mplayer was balking, so I removed the existing
mplayer.

Now, when I apt-get install mplayer-686, I get the following:
****output from apt-get follows
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  kde: Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
                kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
  mplayer-686: Depends: libavcodec1 (>= 1:0.4.8) but it is not going to
be installed
               Depends: libvorbis0a (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be
installed
*********end output

The only thing is, here's the output from:
 apt-show-versions | grep "audiolibs\|avcodec\|vorbis"
**********output follows:
libvorbisenc2/testing uptodate 1.0.0-3
libvorbis0 1.0.0-1 installed: No available version in archive
kdebase-audiolibs/testing uptodate 4:2.2.2-14
libvorbisfile3/testing uptodate 1.0.0-3
libavcodec0 1:0.4.6-sarge0.1 installed: No available version in archive
vorbis-tools/testing upgradeable from 1.0rc3-1 to 1.0.0-2
********end output

so it looks to be like audiolibs IS installed, while strangely it thinks
that libavcodec0 is installed
while having "no version in archive".

I should also note that "apt-get check" does not report any dependency
problems.

The whole problem seems to be the kdebase-audiolibs, because apt-get
install libavcodec1 fails because
libvorbis0a is not isntalled, AND apt-get install libvorbis0a fails
because kde has an
unmet dependence of kdebase-audiolibs....and I cannot apt-get remove
kdebase-audiolibs becuase it gives
the same unmet dependency for kde error as trying the install, while
apt-get install kdebase-audiolibs
tells me it is already installed. I tried apt-get --reinstall for both
kdebase-audiolibs and kde, but
that didn't fix the problem. I'm stuck.

Any suggestions would be mighty appreciated.

Thanks.
nl