How to find out why python-apt is broken in testing

I want to install mini-dhinstall in my "testing" environment, but can't
because it is dependent on python-apt.

python-apt wont install because it depends on a version of python, whose
version number is 2.3 .  However python2.3 actually has version number
2.2.106-2beta2

looking at the developers page for python, this version was upped (presumably
in unstable) on 30th July -  I don't really understand why its not moving
onward into testing.

Two questions.

1) How can you determine from the developers page why this hold up, and
2) Is there any way I can cheat (eg download the unstable deb of python and
install it) that would work?

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk