bayesian spamassassin throwing error

hey all,

recently, i've been noticing that the Bayesian filter in spamassassin
has been acting up.  whenever i try to pipe a message to sa-learn
--ham or something, it tells me:

Cannot open bayes_path /home/nori/.spamassassin/bayes R/O:
Cannot open bayes_path /home/nori/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
Learned from 0 messages.
Cannot open bayes_path /home/nori/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
Cannot open bayes_path /home/nori/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists
Cannot open bayes_path /home/nori/.spamassassin/bayes R/O:
Cannot open bayes_path /home/nori/.spamassassin/bayes R/W: File exists

also, my .procmail/log is full of lines like this -- i assume it's
trying to auto-learn, as most of my spam that comes in is so far above
the threshold that it would try to auto-learn it.

has anyone else seen this behavior?  i should mention that there's no
file called simply "bayes" in ~/.spamassassin -- all that's in that
dir are

bayes_journal  bayes_msgcount  bayes_seen  bayes_toks  user_prefs

thanks!

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu