Re: [OT] CVS diff: hard vs. soft tabs

on Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:06:07PM -0400, Mental Patient insinuated:
> Nori Heikkinen wrote:
[...]
> >now it's time to check it into CVS.  i don't want every single line
> >to show up as different just because of tab characters, so i need
> >to find a good solution on how to transform my indents back into
> >tab characters.  clearly the reverse -- "s,  ,^I," -- won't just
> >work, as there are places where two spaces exist that i wouldn't
> >want a tab.
> >
> >is there some way to open the file in emacs (in which i assumer it
> >was originally written; i use vim) and run it through a
> >re-indentder with hard tabs on?  or could i do this in vim?
> >

> I've done this with mixed results. In general if you're going to
> work on projects, its a good idea to come up with your format
> conventions first. :)

right, that would have been nice ... but, as you say, i just inherited
this one.  not much i could have done about setting conventions first.

> For things like indenting, etc, you could always adjust what you
> have your tabstop set to.

what i have my tabstop set to doesn't matter -- that's how my editor
interprets hard tabs on disk.  what i have is _no_ hard tabs on disk,
and i want to put them there.  that's more complex, right?

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/