Re: reverting to ext2 (Was: Re: How to kill X?)

How can I clean a dirty journal???
I can't startup my machine...
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:05:24PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> >On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 at 22:49 GMT, Roberto Sanchez penned:
> >
> > >If you have and ext3 that you want to revert to ext2, you can just:
> > >
> > >tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdXX
> > >
> > >-Roberto

...be sure the journal is clean first though, and if you have to force
it with -f be sure you know what you're doing.

> >Out of curiosity, why would one want to do this?

One example: if you have an external journal and the drive with that
on goes bad. (Though you would probably immediately follow it with
attaching a new journal on a different drive.)

> >Also, you can always mount an ext3 drive as ext2 just by specifying the
> >type.  In fact, I think mount will autodetect ext3 as ext2 -- you have
> >to explicitly ask for ext3-mounting.

# mount /dev/hda2 /mnt -o ro
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
#

Again, don't do this with a dirty journal.

> Right.  But, the OP said something about sticking with ext2 instead of
> ext3.  I assumed that he already had an ext3 drive that he wanted to
> make ext2.

No, he has an ext2 drive which he is wondering whether to make ext3.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons