Re: reverting to ext2 (Was: Re: How to kill X?)

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:05, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 at 22:49 GMT, Roberto Sanchez penned:
> >>If you have and ext3 that you want to revert to ext2, you can just:
> >>
> >>tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdXX
> >>
> >>-Roberto
> >
> > Out of curiosity, why would one want to do this?
> >
> > Also, you can always mount an ext3 drive as ext2 just by specifying the
> > type.  In fact, I think mount will autodetect ext3 as ext2 -- you have
> > to explicitly ask for ext3-mounting.
>
> Right.  But, the OP said something about sticking with ext2 instead of
> ext3.  I assumed that he already had an ext3 drive that he wanted to
> make ext2.
>
> -Roberto

Thanks everybody for your input.

As it happens, all my partitions are ext2 at the moment (except for some
FAT16's but we needn't go into that  ;)

I'm contemplating swapping some of 'em to ext3, I was just wondering if the
pluses outweight the minuses.   It appears as if they do.

It does reassure me, though, that if I happen to run/install a kernel that
doesn't have ext3, I can use ext2 if necessary.

Regards

cr    (the OP)