Re: fsck hangs my machine unpredictably

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 at 22:03 GMT, Rob Dupuis penned:

> Yeah, I thought that was probably the case. Is there any way I can
> boot the machine and skip fsck running automatically, try to mount the
> drive and salvage some of the data to another drive? (I should point
> out my system drive is fine so I can boot OK if I unplug the defective
> drive, its my 180G data drive thats screwed.)
>
> Rob

If you already have it booted up, I believe that
  tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 <device>
will totally disable any automatic checking of the drive in the future.

I don't know of a way to disable it on the fly during bootup, but that
probably just means I haven't heard of it.

Now's another great time to mention knoppix.org -- if you boot off the
CD, it shouldn't try to do anything with your drives without asking you
first.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please