Re: Grub, need to change fstab?

J Y wrote:
Hi,
I've been messing with grub without accomplishing much, accept an
occasional kernel panic, error fs not found and an hour or more rescuing my system. I let grub do most of the work on the configuration that follows and it actually boots debian, with the SuSE kernel!!! Damn!!!! I think I understand that since it plugged in the only drive/partition it sees. I'm thinking that I need to add my other drive /dev/hdb and its partitions to fstab. BUT altering fstab can be fatal to the os, I've learned the hard way, so how would I do that? Thanks Oh and I have had the correct partitions listed in grub/menu.1st, but it can't find the filesystem(s) on hdb.

I have no idea what you are trying to say!

There is no need of having your system failing to boot. That is one of the strong points of Grub! Make a boot floppy with grub on it. Do not destroy your lilo boot setup until you get Grub working.

But even where you are you can still boot. Try this:
1. when Grub's menu comes up, read the verbage. Of course your menu.lst is so long it may hide the info grub puts out for you. You do not even need a menu.lst to boot with Grub. 2. when Grub's menu comes up, press the letter 'c'. This gets you into a command line editor. 3. now type 'root (' and press enter. Grub will give you a choice of what to enter. Select the correct drive. then press enter again. Grub will give you a choice of partition. Select the correct partition. 4, Now type 'kernel /' and press enter. Grub will give you a choice.. You should be getting the idea now.

You can edit any line in 'menu.lst'. Just press 'e' on the line you wish to edit and away you go.

There is a great tutorial on Grub. Google on 'IBM grub tutorial' and you should be able to find it.

gfxmenu (hd0,4)/message color white/blue black/light-gray default 0 timeout 8 title linux kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=791 initrd (hd0,4)/initrd

This is one strange looking entry in menu.lst. It should look more like this:

title linux
root (hd0,4)  # This is where grub's root is.
# Such as where you have the stage 2 drivers installed
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=791
initrd /initrd

If you still have troubles post:
1. Where Grub's root is. Such as where you have the stage 2 drivers
 and the menu.lst installed.
2. Where the kernel you wish to boot is installed.

HTH
Charles

title floppy root (fd0) chainloader +1 title failsafe kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic 3 initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.shipped title windows_me root (hd0) chainloader +1 makeactive title debian3.0 kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5 title slackware9.0 kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2