Re: man dangling symlink question

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> [2003:10:08:16:41:21+0000] scribed:
> Cron keeps yapping at me, so I investigate and find the following:
>
> home:~# ls -l  /usr/share/man/man1/tixindex.1.gz
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 Sep 21 10:12 /usr/share/man/man1/tixindex.1.gz -> /etc/alternatives/tixindex.1.gz
> home:~# ls -l /etc/alternatives/tixindex.1.gz
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           36 Sep 26 19:56 /etc/alternatives/tixindex.1.gz -> /usr/share/man/man1/tixindex8.1.1.gz
> home:~# ls /usr/share/man/man1/tix*
> /usr/share/man/man1/tixindex.1.gz@  /usr/share/man/man1/tixwish8.1.1.gz
> /usr/share/man/man1/tixwish.1.gz@
>
> My question: what exactly is tixindex an alternative *for*?  Am I safe
> just blowing away both those symlinks?

First of all, a dangling symlink is at best useless, and at worst
dangerous.  As it is, it contributes _nothing_ of value to your system;
so, deleting it adds value.

Second, if you really need it, you need to find out from which package
it comes:

   dpkg -S /usr/share/man/man1/tixindex.1.gz

Either reinstall that package, or contact its maintainer to correct the
erroneous link.

It seems endemic that many package changes are ignorant of that dark
corner of dpkg package that is /usr/sbin/update-alternatives -- why is
that?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,