Re: how to build Debian 2.4.20, -21, or -22 kernel package for woody?

Daniel B. wrote:
Do you _really_ need an initrd?

Not that I know of. I was just trying to do things the Debian way and consistently with the rest of my system. (Mixing initrd and non-initrd kernels takes more editing of /etc/lilo.)

Do you have only one kernel now? If so, just change lilo.conf and from now on build non-initrd kernels (this is how I do it). If you have multiple kernels, consider reompiling them. It just seems like you are going to a lot of trouble for not very much.

make-kpkg doesn't really care if your kernel has an initrd or not, it will still build you a .deb that you can easily install.

At the moment I seem to have gotten things working by linking IDE drivers in as opposed to letting them be modules.

(Now let's see if 2.4.22(-2) improves IDE reliability...)

Generally, you want to compile in (even if you use an initrd) things like IDE (or SCSI if your root fs is on a SCSI device), your root fs, and other basic functionality.

BTW, what kernel are you compiling (sorry, late to the thread) and what IDE chipset do you have?

-Roberto