Re: KDE+Kmail

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 21:15:37 -0400 (EDT)
<kmark@pipeline.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Frederico Rodrigues Abraham wrote:
>
> >      Hi.
> >      I tried to uninstall exim, which led me to a question... why
> >      does
> > KDE depend on KMail? Isnt KDE a Desktop Environment and KMail a mail
> > client/service?
> >      -- Fred
> <snip>
> Hi Fred,
> Kde 'desktop' requires kde 'libraries'. You can run kde apps as long
> as you have the kde libraries. so, I expect it is installing the kde
> 'libraries' upon which kmail depends. At least I think so. Would more
> enlightened debianistas comment....
> -Kev

Hello,

Kevins' description would be correct if you experience Kmail inoperative
on removal of the rest of, or any other part of KDE.
On the other hand, I have removed Kmail, and kept a perfectly
operational Konqueror, which is an application that you would expect to
be more likely to share dependencies with Kmail. Take your time with
removal of applications, apt will let you know about dependencies, or
you'll spend as much time doing reinstalls as I do.
Regards,

David.