Spam, exim, .forward vs. procmail

I've been reading the various spam threads, I'm certainly
getting my share of hits from the various worms going
around. Clearly I can do better can people provide some
clear recommendations?

Currently I'm using exim, receiving w/fetchmail and
sending to smarthost. I've learned how to write and
test an exim-compatible .forward file that works
fairly well, although I keep having to add more rules
as the attributions for the fake MS updates keep changing
(really I have to go back to the docs and see if I can
filter out any message with a *.exe or *.pif attachment.)

So one question is: does procmail really work better or
provide more features than .forward? Is it worth
investing the time and energy to learn how to write
procmail filters?

A second question is: I understand that if you install
and configure the mailfilter package, that you can use
mutt to initiate your pop connections and filter mail
at the server. I have broadband, do I really care about
this option? I'd always understood that having mutt
run your pop connections was basically an option for
people running PPP.

Finally: I'm poised to start running a 24x7 server for
the first time, I'm contemplating making it a true
mailserver for incoming and outgoing. I'm sure I'll be
learning all about spamassassin, do people have any
advice about gotchas, must-have packages, or best
books?

TIA, PM
--
Paul Mackinney