samba-client lprng kernel? problems

I recently recompiled my kernel using kernel-source-2.4.22 in testing. I
included samba file system support in the kernel.

Previously, I had no problem printing on two printers on different
WIN200 machines on our network but now I can't. The print jobs just stay
in the /spool/lpd/printer directory.

The funny thing is that I have no problem seeing the workstations and
their printers if I login with XSMBrowser or TkSmb.

I tried using dpkg-reconfigure samba, and set it as daemons rather than
inetd....should this make a difference?

I've gone through all of the tests in the lprng-doc cookbook.
Here is an example of how files sit around in the spooler:

tracer:/usr/src# echo hi >/tmp/hi
tracer:/usr/src# lpr /tmp/hi
tracer:/usr/src# lpq
Printer: vista@tracer (printing disabled)
 Queue: 2 printable jobs
 Server: no server active
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size
Time
1      glen@tracer+525              A   525 /tmp/AcroYneqce     156437
21:40:30
2      root@tracer+798              A   798 /tmp/hi

Here is a verbose attempt at  printing:

tracer:/usr/src# lpr -V /tmp/hi
LPRng-3.8.22, Kerberos5, Copyright 1988-2003 Patrick Powell,
<papowell@lprng.com>
sending job 'root@tracer+807' to vista@localhost
connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
connected to 'localhost'
requesting printer vista@localhost
sending control file 'cfA807tracer.rice.edu' to vista@localhost
completed sending 'cfA807tracer.rice.edu' to vista@localhost
sending data file 'dfA807tracer.rice.edu' to vista@localhost
completed sending 'dfA807tracer.rice.edu' to vista@localhost
done job 'root@tracer+807' transfer to vista@localhost

Debugging the network as follows:
tracer:/usr/src# lpr -Dnetwork /tmp/hi
vista: getconnection: START host localhost, port <NULL>, timeout 10,
connection_type 1
vista: getconnection: fqdn found localhost, h_addr_list count 1
vista: getconnection: unix_socket_path /var/run/lprng/socket
vista: getconnection: using unix socket
vista: Link_send: host 'localhost' socket 3, timeout 0
vista: Link_send: str '^Bvista
', count 7, ack 0xbfffc3fc
vista: Link_send: final status NO ERROR
vista: Link_send: host 'localhost' socket 3, timeout 0
vista: Link_send: str '^B145 cfA810tracer.rice.edu
', count 27, ack 0xbfffbfac
vista: Link_send: final status NO ERROR
vista: Link_send: host 'localhost' socket 3, timeout 0
vista: Link_send: str 'Htracer.rice.edu
Proot
J/tmp/hi
CA
Lroot
Aroot@tracer+810
D2003-10-01-09:21:46.404
Qvista
N/tmp/hi
fdfA810tracer.rice.edu
UdfA810tracer.rice.edu
', count 146, ack 0xbfffbfac
vista: Link_send: final status NO ERROR
vista: Link_send: host 'localhost' socket 3, timeout 0
vista: Link_send: str '^C3 dfA810tracer.rice.edu
', count 25, ack 0xbfffbf4c
vista: Link_send: final status NO ERROR
vista: Link_send: host 'localhost' socket 3, timeout 0
vista: Link_send: str '', count 1, ack 0xbfffbf4c
vista: Link_send: final status NO ERROR

My printcap file was generated with lprngtool. Since it worked before, I
suspect that I am missing some module in the kernel.

Any ideas or approaches would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Glen