permissions problem

Hi,  (by the way I'm not on the lists anymore and don't seem to be able
to resubscribe-if someone replies I'll read the reply in the
archives-thanks)
  I did the following:

Copy  /etc/ppp/peers/provider   as  /etc/ppp/peers/orcon
and edit the file 'orcon' to suit  (e.g. include 'noauth', and in my case
comment out the sample chat script
# connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider" )

Then, to use the 'call' option with Kppp, just do

Setup -> (Orcon Internet) -> Edit -> pppd arguments ->
[type in:]  call orcon   -> Add

Hope I've got this right.

cr

and got this response from internet dialer/kppp:

Sep 3023:00:23 deblnx ppd(1626): Can't open options file
/etc/ppp/peers/highstream.net: Permission denied   I know that this is a
permissions problem, now, But I don't know how to fix it. I have tried a
chmod ug +x on the file 'highstream.net" but that didn't work. I can't
imagine that I need to change permissions or owner for the whole file
listing. What is the answer to this please?  Thanks

Quoting cr <cr@orcon.net.nz>:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:58, John Hasler wrote:
> > cr writes:
> > > Other question - what's the 'proper' way to give a user (me)
access to
> > > ppp?
> >
> > Add the user to the dip group.  It is not necessary to add the user to
> > dialout as pppd opens the device while running as root.
>
> Thanks!   I added myself to the dip group, and sure enough kppp now
starts
> up
> for me.
>
> I also remembered to add 'noauth' as an option in my kppp setup (which
> worked
> fine when I was dialling as root).    However, Kppp dials in, OK, but as
> soon
> as connection is established it drops out with 'using noauth option
> requires
> root privilege'.
>
> If I remove the noauth option, then I'm back to the previous error of
> 'remote
> system is required to authenticate itself'.
>
> The obvious 'fix' of adding myself to group 'root' is, I think, not a
good
> idea   ;)
>
> However I seem to have fixed it - I'll include this in case it helps
> anyone:
>
> /etc/ppp/options   says:
>
> # Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
> # packets to be sent or received.
> # Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
> # future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
> # authentication for specific peers.
> auth
>
> So probably changing it to 'noauth' would work, but is, I assume, not
> approved.     (And, reading between the lines, auth may be
'hard-wired' in
> in
> newer pppd's?)
>
> The 'correct' way seems to be  (my ISP is called 'Orcon' for purposes of
> illustration):
>
> Copy  /etc/ppp/peers/provider   as  /etc/ppp/peers/orcon
> and edit the file 'orcon' to suit  (e.g. include 'noauth', and in my case
> comment out the sample chat script
> # connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider" )
>
> Then, to use the 'call' option with Kppp, just do
>
> Setup -> (Orcon Internet) -> Edit -> pppd arguments ->
> [type in:]  call orcon   -> Add
>

> Hope I've got this right.
>
> cr

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com