Re: debian package install problem

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 03:43:13PM -0700, gerald simpkin wrote:
> I am a new user of Debian. I have the operating system installed but
> due to some difficulties cannot seem able to install packages. At
> install when I use apt it starts okay but then I get a configuration
> error in configuring Binutils . I do not need to tell you how
> important this feature is. It returns an error trouble linking kernel.
> It says this problem occurs in older kernels and some new (woody is
> using an old kernel?). It further says the problem is not with the
> linker but the kernel source. It says to edit linker script for
> architecture. It goes on to give an example, 'arch/i386/vmlinux.lds'.

Here's the full text of the message you're seeing:

 You may experience problems linking older (and some newer) kernels with
 this version of binutils.  This is not because of a bug in the linker, but
 rather a bug in the kernel source.  This is being worked out and fixed by
 the upstream kernel group in newer kernels, but not all of the problems
 may have been fixed at this time.  Older kernel versions will almost
 always exhibit the problem, however, and no attempts are being made to fix
 those that we know of.
 .
 There are a few work-arounds, but the most reliable is to edit the linker
 script for your architecture (e.g. arch/i386/vmlinux.lds) and remove the
 '*(.text.exit)' entry from the 'DISCARD' line.  It will bloat the kernel
 somewhat, but it should link properly.

That's not an error, it's an informational notice. As long as you never
plan to compile older kernels (meaning older than 2.4.17 or so), you can
simply ignore this notice, press OK, and carry on.

> Anyway there is no arch directory. The script suggested I access file
> vmlinux.lds and remove an entry on a discard line called
> *(.text.exit). Unless I can find that file or the directory and then
> the file I cannot try anything.

You only need to do this if you are compiling a kernel and having
problems. If not, you do not need to take any action.

If after OKing that message apt-get is still stuck, then please post the
exact text of the error message it gives you.

> I know you guys did not release woody with such a critical defect. I
> have CDs from a endor with a link on a Debian wedsite. The bill for
> this copy is going into dispute for this and other reasons.

I don't know about the other reasons, but there should be no need to
trouble a CD vendor with this one. In general disputing a bill with a CD
vendor due to bugs in Debian seems unfair to me; they're acting in good
faith. Your mileage may vary, I gues.

Cheers,