Re: OT: RAID Controllers

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:42:56 +0100, "Karsten M. Self"
<kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:35:02PM -0500, Jacob S.
> (stormspotter@6texans.net) wrote:
> > I'm still a little new to the RAID side of the world and the
> > hardware howto doesn't have the information I'm looking for.
> >
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for good hardware RAID(5)
> > controllers (mainly SCSI, but possibly IDE too) that are supported
> > by Linux?
>
> My experience strongly suggests SW RAID, or a good SCSI RAID
> controller.
>
> My experience with 3Ware cards on RAID 0/1/5 systems is decidely
> mixed, likely a combination of issues with both 3Ware and ATA drive
> flakiness.
>
> SCSI will be much more robust on both counts.

Truthfully, SW RAID will probably be as flaky as you are describing for
hardware ATA RAID. Probably the best bet is to do a SCSI hardware RAID
array setup in any event. But I have been running a 3ware S/ATA hardware
controller on a RAID 0 array without any problems noticable to me, but
if he wants to setup RAID 5, he probably demands a mission-critical
setup in which case SCSI wins.

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer		[sl@eskimo.com]
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt 	[sl@moslug.org]