Re: mixing stable and testing

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:36:21PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:27:36PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> > You would need to setup a /etc/apt/preferences file, add testing to
> > yor sources.list, and use pinning. Even so libc6 (upgrade) will be a
> > depend on anythig from Testing. For what you want, it may be
> > safer/easier to use 'apt-source' and build the few packages you
> > want. If you are lucky there won't be any depends or only a couple
> > that you will have to also build. You may need to run 'apt-get
> > build-dep' in order to build your package, you would get an error
> > message to this effect.
>
> Um, ok, another stupid newbie question: how do I build a package from
> source?  I downloaded metalog's source, but the package won't build if
> I use dpkg -b metalog-dir -- it comes up with errors in the
> DEBIAN/control file. Am I going about it the right way?  I've compiled
> programs before, I've just never compiled a *package*.

Definitely don't use 'dpkg -b'. This seems to be quite a common mistake,
but that's for low-level use by debian/rules scripts only (and possibly
experts doing very strange things, although I must say I can't remember
ever needing it).

Instead, install the devscripts and fakeroot packages and run 'debuild'.
You probably want the -uc and -us flags too so that it doesn't prompt
you for a GPG signature.

Cheers,