Re: Newbie Hardware/Partitioning

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 07:55:13PM -0400, David Crane wrote:
> ***** PLEASE REPLY TO THE LIST WITH ANY CORRECTIONS TO THE
> FOLLOWING, SINCE IT WOULD BE USEFUL FOR A HOWTO. *****

Bah.  You make it MUCH harder than it needs to be.

My Stinkpad 600E is dualbooting Sid and Win2k, without all these silly
gyrations.

I took its 40 gb drive, and installed Win2k on it.  Gave it 15 gb of the
drive as NTFS.  Went through the entire install, made sure it worked,
updated it, etc.

Then I created a 5 gb extended partition, and formatted it FAT32, so that
the two installs could share data.

Then I booted Woody CD #1.

Created a 512 mb swap partition as hda3, and a 20 gb partition as hda4
which I put an EXT3 filesystem on.  Installed Woody on hda4.

When Woody wanted to know where to put the copy of lilo, I put it on hda4,
rather than on the MBR.  This left the machine booting Win2k as default.

Restarted in Win2k, logged in as Administrator, and added the Linux
partition to NTLDR with BootPart.

That was it.  Oh, I rearranged NTLDR's menu so that Woody booted by
default, but that was just a quick edit with Notepad.

Rebooted again, Woody came up, logged in, updated to Sid.

No messing with dd, no nothing.  Clean and easy.  Win2k only sees the
partitions I want it to see (the NTFS partition and the FAT32).  The others
might as well not exist.

I just wish I hadn't given the Win2k partition so much space, as the
project for which I needed all of it hasn't materialized yet. I'll probably
wipe the Sid install and shrink the 2k partition, then put Sid back. :)

--
 Marc Wilson |     Logic is a little bird, sitting in a tree; that
 msw@cox.net |     smells *_____awful*.