Re: Newbie Hardware/Partitioning

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:24:06 +0100,
John Stevenson <John.Stevenson@objectcore.co.uk> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3F520506.7040800@objectcore.co.uk>:

> > I've had ext2 running on massive partitions in the region of 60GB
> > upwards.  Only thing with ext2 is that if the system doesn't
> > shutdown correctly it will scan the drives for errors on the re-boot
> > which can take AGES with larger partitions.
> >
> You can easily (and in my own experience safely) convert ext2
> filesystem into an ext3 system with journaling.  I have done this on a
> system with 3 hard drives that are all 100GB+ and it saves an emense
> amount of time in the rare occasion I have had a crash (dodgy USB
> equipment!!).
>
> The procedure I use is as follows (example is for the first partition
> on the second hard drive of IDE channel 1):
>
> 1) Unmount the partition you are going to convert
>
> umount /dev/hdb1
>
> 2) Use tune2fs to add a journaling
>
> tune2fs -j /dev/hdb1

..I'd do 'tune2fs -j -s 0 /dev/hdb1' to turn off the default
"sparse" option, for ext3fs'es holding important data.
And default 180 days without fsck is much too long, at least
for carrier grade service.

> 3) Turn of the automatic counting and checking for fsck
>
> tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 /dev/hdb1

..I advice _against_ this practice, see above, and in
my other posts in this thread.

> 4) Edit /etc/fstab file to reflect the changes (use ext3 or auto for
> the fs type)
>
> /dev/hdb1    /opt/archive       ext3    defaults        0    2

..consider your options for this fs, is an errors=remount-ro ok,
or does the data value warrant a prompt kernel panic?  YMWV.

> 5) Remount the partition
>
> mount /dev/hdb1
>
> This procedure was discussed on debianplanet, but that is not
> available at present.  I am sure there is a howto if you need more
> information.
>
> Johnny.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: