Re: Logging into X remotely

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:39:17 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> XDMCP would be easier and better on bandwidth (thus faster).  VNC is
> good when you need to display something graphical on a platform that
> never anticipated multiuser, networked environments (namely, MS Windows).

    This is not entirely true.  GTK2 apps dog very badly over X whereas with
VNC the speed is acceptable.  Prime examples are XChat and Pan.  Both are
related to scrolling.

    In Pan paging up or down in the article listing takes 1-2 seconds to
redraw under X.  W/VNC (well, TightVNC, Hextile, no compression) it is nearly
instantaneous.

    XChat also lags badly when scrolling the channel view.  Under X when there
is quick chatter you'll get jerky 1/2-page scrolls.  VNC (same as above) it is
almost as smooth as having the client on the local machine.

    I've done both and settled on TightVNC (server and client) because of the
above issues as well as the ability to access my desktop from multiple
machines w/o shutting it down and restarting.  Most of the time my laptop's
got the display up but sometimes I want to just work on the main machine
(larger screen, nicer input devices, access to sound, etc) and fire VNC up
there in a shared session to take over.  Of course I was (and still am) a
heavy screen user so there might be a precedent set there years ago.  :)