Re: VIA CPU's - cooling with ICE - shuttle - heat

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Jacob Anawalt wrote:

> So it sounds like their design works on the heat output of up to a
> P4-2.4Ghz processor, and the case design has issues with the airflow to

that's what i've seen ...

and if you stick your finger ont heother 14 boxes w/ p4-2.8 cpus
it'd be foolishly throwing $$ down the drain in a shuttle box
	- cpu dies in 1/2 life-cycle for every 10C increase in
	operating temp

> I don't know if I'm convinced of your final statement about the
> heatpipes vs the finned block working an order of magnitude better. One
> of my friends has the same CPU, a jet engine fan and a huge copper
> heatsink, runs with the side off his case, and about 10 degrees C hotter
> than mine. I've read other people get the heat range I do with aircooled
> systems.

cooling is a factor of...
	- air flow
	- density of air
	- cleanliness of air

	- grade of copper/aluminum
	- smoothness of copper/aluminum heatsink
	- thermal conductivity of heatsink compound
	- thermal conductivity of copper, aluminum
	- thermal blah-parameters of copper, aluminum, ...

	- source of the heat

... lots of variables...
	- identical cpu and indentical heatsink will give you
	different ambient temp in different cases w/ different heat sink
	compound

- problem with p4-2.4 and p4-2.8 was way way way too noticeable of
  heatsink problems  ( off the shelf.. un-modified )
	- heat problem is so bad, i will NOT attempt to fix(customize)
	the heat problem and instead just say/flag that they have a
	problem and let them decide ... i'm not gonna replace 13pcs of
	$275 cpu

- so now i know, not to use p4-2.8 in those boxes ...
  whie some other versions, variations might work ... donno ...
	- try it and see ...

c ya
alvin