Re: [OT-ish] IGPL - Idea General Public Licence

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:58:11 -0500,
John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] 87vfsg9o64.fsf@toncho.dhh.gt.org>:

> Arnt Karlsen writes:
> > ...ideas can be patented if, and _only_ if...
>
> No.  _Inventions_ can be patented etc, etc.  'Idea' is not a synonym
> for'invention'.

..correct, and some innovations are not patented even if used
commercially.  Now, the legal definition of 'innovation' is also
a variable, they are usually variants of the "new ideas that has
technological effects when implemented" theme.
(AFAIK, I'm not talking US patent law here, but "international".)

..and I also missed finishing this bit:

> ..whether or not patentable ideas are viable commercially, is
> consequently _irrelevant_ in all civilized jurisdictions, as
> commerciability is not a technological effect on anything

...commerciability is not a technological effect of the idea,
it may however provide a business opportunity that makes the
patenting of the idea, a profitable investment.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: