Re: some reality about iptables, please

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 10:42, Colin Watson wrote:
>  On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:26:57AM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> > To then run across one suggestion along with language suggesting he
> > wasn't telling the whole story (so I could evaluate what to do with it)
> > and inferring I'll have trouble if I use his suggestion was maddening.
> >
> > In jokes are great for people who are on the in - they may be at the
> > expense of others.
> [...]
> > I also think the standard for the documentation that's accepted for
> > default installation with Debian maybe needs to meet a standard that
> > does the job of providing useful information for as broad a range of
> > users and skill and knowledge levels as can be arranged.  Threatening
> > doom and not saying why comes across a bit slack to me.
> >
> > Yes, this is a fun place we all get to be individuals in, joking with
> > each other.  OTOH, I'm a Software Quality Assurance Analyst for a
> > living, and you don't leave users high and dry, and you don't play with
> > them.  That's not helpful.
>
> I think you should mail the maintainer (via a bug report) and say so,
> then. He may well not read this list.

I'm figuring on waiting until I understand enough to be sure I'm not
just being an idiot to think so.  If I turn out to be the only person on
the planet who doesn't "get" this one - that's not a good reason to
change things.

Maybe the implications are clear as day to everyone else.

When I can explain it myself, I'll understand it enough to speak to the
issues.

Cheers,
Bret

--