Re: What is the Best DVD burner for linux?

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 15:36, Jake Johnson wrote:
> I am in the market for a dvd burner and I was wondering what everyone
> recommends? ide/scsi/usb

Do they still make scsi burners that cost less then a complete new PC ??

I myself have a nec nd1100a, which was 200 euro's a few months ago. Now
you can get it for even less, the 1300's seem to be selling for 150
euro's now.

I put it in a firewire cabinet, but that shouln't matter, USB2 would do
fine also. Just get an IDE burner (and optionally, build it in an
external enclosure).

Linux supports all IDE DVD+RW and DVD-RW writers. I prefer the +RW
standard, and writing to it under linux is quite easy (with dvd+rw-tools
/ growisofs).

Very handy for backups / data-storage

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT