Re: Debian and KDE (Update)

Hello

Greg Madden (<gomadtroll@gci.net>) wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 07:28 pm, William Bradley wrote:
>> Thank you to the all the list members who offered their suggestions:
>> Problem with kppp still:
>>
>> 1. Clicked on the "Internet Dialer" on the KDE menu got:
>>
>> KDEInit could not launch 'kppp': Could not find 'kppp' executable.
>>
>> 2. /usr/bin/kppp as "user" got:
>>
>> "Permission denied."
>>
>> 3. /usr/bin/kppp as "root" got:
>>
>> "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server.
>> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1.
>> kppp: cannot connect to X server key :0.0

This error is causes because you are running X as user but the kppp
program trying to start is run by root and has no permission to use
your X. Use "kdesu kppp" as user instead if you want to run it as root
while logged in as user. However this should not be necessary (see
below).

> I think it is a permission issue. You need to be in the group that has
> access to the dialer, I think it is the dialout group:

It's the "dip" group. Dialout is the group the serial ports and isdn
devices belong to, the dialin programs like pppd and kppp belong to
group dip.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--