Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 22:49, bob parker wrote:
--snip--
> I once wondered why all illustrations of C++ programming showed two classes,
> foo and bar. The I discovered that 'fubarred' means 'fsked beyond repair'.
> That is sufficient explanation.

Actually, I believe it's meant to be 'fsckd up beyond all recognition'
and was originally 'fubar'. Though there has been discussion regarding
whether foobar and fubar have any real relation. For a rather complete
writeup on the topic, see:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=foobar

and

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=foo