Rearranging hard drives

I currently have both of my hard drives on 1 ide channel 1 as master and
1 as slave. I have been using a scsi cd-rw and dvd drive but now I am
getting ready to add a ide cd-rw and want to change my hard drive config
and move them onto separate channels both as masters and make the cd-rw
a slave on the 1st channel. How bad will this screw up my debian system,
or is simply a matter of booting into single user mode and making some
changes to the fstab? I don't remember my reasoning for doing this in
the first place, but I now realize it wasn't very smart.
Any pointers are appreciated.
Brad