Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 10:34, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 7:45 pm, Deryk Barker wrote:
> > Thus spake Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net):

> > > One thing I learned a *long* time ago is that even an 80286 is faster
> > > than people typing, reading the screen, moving the mouse, getting a
> > > cup of coffee, etc.
> >
> > Yes, I'd be interested in knowing why python should be considered
> > "very very slow". I've been using it extensively for several years and
> > have had no performance issues.
>

> Well, I like speed cause I make some computer intensive work.
> One of the first examples I saw of python was a simple program that find the
> prime numbers under X limit. I compared the time with a similar code in C and
> the difference is big.
>
> I'm not criticizing python, I mean all scripting is slow compared to compiled
> programs execution. I'm sure python have a bright future.

If you need *every last millimeter/sec* of speed, then yes, stick
with a pure compiled language with hyper-tweaked libraries, and a
compiler better than gcc.

However, if development time and bug minimization is equally as
important, stick with Python.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Our computers and their computers are the same color. The
conversion should be no problem!"
Unknown