Re: OT: Why is C so popular?

Hi!

On Wed Aug 27, 2003 at 12:02:23PM -0500, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> It doesn't matter how good or bad Java, C, or any other language might
> be. What counts is who's backing it, what you can do with it, and how
> fast you can do it (how good the development tools are, how much of of
> that code you already have, etc.). How important each of those is
> depends on where you are and who you're talking to. A lot of times the
> decision isn't even based on sound technical advice, just on company
> politics, product marketing, and short-term cost.

And that all doesn't matter if you're a free software developer...
You use the tools YOU like, the language YOU think is the right one for
your project and don't have to give a damn about other opinions why this
or that language has to be better than the other.

There is no such language which performs in all situations well. C is
fast, but you have to code really careful and double-check your source.
Erlang was designed for telephony tasks (message passing, ...). Prolog
is superior in expert systems. Perl is real good for quick string hacks.
Python scales better than Perl for larger projects and is good for rapid
prototyping. C++ scales well in large-scale software designs which needs
to be fast...

But that all doesn't matter. Every language has its pros and cons and
trying to find THE language will end in esotheric discussions.

For me its clear: use the language you think is good for completing a
given task. I know you cannot always make this decision but if you have
the chance, choose carefully ;-)

So long
Thomas

--
 .''`.  Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around. - W. R. Stevens
: :'  : Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki at ull dot at>