PHP CLI and Mysql

I've been trying to get PHP CLI working with Mysql with no luck.  After
much research I found out that php -m will list the loaded modules...
but mysql is not one of them (however mysql works fine with apache
modphp).

How do I go about getting this from Debian?  I've tried "apt-get install
php4" with no luck.  Do I need to compile Mysql support in this version
of PHP?  If so, then where do I get the debian sources?

Also, I seem to be confused about how php-cgi, mod-php, and php-cli
exist on the same machine if there is only 1 php binary.  If I compile
php, does this affect mod-php and php-cgi?

Any help would be highly appreciated

Thanks!
IRV

P.S.