Re: apt-get -t unstable install gnome fails with unmet dependencies

 On Tuesday 26 August 2003 23:08, Adam wrote:
 > This is a fresh install of debian.  I have edited my preferences and
 > sources.list to be just like those on another system that worked in
 > January.  I just tried it on the other system and it fails there
too.
 > The apt-get -t unstable install gnome fails saying that there are
 > dependencies that will not be installed.  Is this broken?  How can I
 > get it to work?

 apt will not automatically install packages from unstable if they
aren't
 explicitly listed. Try installing the proper packages from unstable,
this
 should fix it.

I thought the -t unstable was supposed to tell it to install
dependencies from unstable.  There are a large number of dependencies,
some of which (like gnome-core) have a large number of dependencies of
their own.  There must be a better way than installing each package by
hand, I thought that was the whole point of having apt.

The fact that it doesn't work on the system it worked on before makes
me suspect the gnome package is simply broken.

Adam