Re: other debian installer tactic?

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 5:58 am, Kent West wrote:

> Wonderful goal! But what you're asking for is a different distribution,
> which has been done already: Corel, Libranet, Knoppix, Xandros, etc.

What bothers me about these distros is that even if they are debian based you
can not upgrade transparently your system to follow debian repositories, in a
way they try to trap you, cause they make money from it.

> Debian, by its very definition, does not work only on one platform.
> Anything that is based on Debian, but only works on one platform, is not
> Debian. You're free to develop your own distro, or hire/persuade someone
> to do it, or to acquire another distro that does what you want, such as
> those mentioned above, but the bottom line is that you're asking for
> another distro, not Debian. You're free to consider these other distros
> as "valid Debian subprojects", but Debian itself supports mulitiple
> architectures. Anything less is not Debian, and the "Debian developers"
> are unlikely to spend their time and effort working on an installer
> that's not Debian (and I applaud them for that!).

OK, maybe I'm asking for another distro. I wish I would have the time for
doing it myself or the money to hire someone to do it. Unforunatelly...

Maybe some day I'll can, who knows?

Alfredo