Best Way to Look at Streaming Video

I wanted to look at a video on a web site that offered it in
RealPlayer, QuickTime, and Windows Media Player format.  To my suprise
(since I had installed RealPlayer) I couldn't, and this led to some
questions that perhaps people here could answer.

Which of these formats would be the best choice for Debian (I do have
some windows partitions, though I don't think I've installed any of
the recent MediaPlayer stuff)?  Ideally, I want it to work through my
mozilla 1.4 browser, built with gcc 3.3.

What are the best tools to view these formats?

I have the old (and apparently no longer existing) realplayer for
debian package, along with the latest (as of a month ago) unix
realplayer from real.com.  However, it is not recognized as a plug in
for my mozilla 1.4.  I believe I read somewhere that realplayer, built
with older gcc's, is not going to work with mozilla built with the new
gccs.

I also had no luck pasting the URL directly into realplayer, probably
because the URL is only of a page that does some magic to decide what
kind of video to serve
(http://athome.harvard.edu/programs/sge/sge1.html, but I think it's
password protected).

Discussion a few months ago mentioned http://marillat.free.fr/ both
for the realplayer for Debian package (which  no longer seems to be
there) and for mplayer (about which there were mixed comments).

I see several packages providing quicktime support (xine, xmovie,
xanim) and don't know if one is obviously better (or better at
integrating into mozilla).

Any thoughts?