Re: OS X as Client, and Debian as backbone?

Le 11/08/2003 15:58, « Bengt Thurée » <bengt@zag.att.ne.jp> a écrit :

> Hej,
>
> I have heard some rumours that this combination (using
> Macintosh OS X as clients and Linux as a backbone (fileserver))
> do not work perfectly.

*** There were issues with previous OS X versions but ever since the 10.2.6
update things have changed. I'm interested to know what you heard and where?

> I have tried to search for information on Google, as well as
> in other places, but so far not come up with anything concrete.

*** Yes, I have had the same problem. I think it's either because the system
is too new or the Mac admin's are not used in using UNIX-like systems and
look for help on the Net. I think they'll rather call Apple support and get
help from them. Of course Apple keeps its mouth shut and publishes the
10.2.6 patch instead... :-\

<snip>

> Do anyone have any comments on this combination, or where can I
> find more information?
> What will work, and what will not work?

*** Make sure to update OS X clients to the latest patch (10.2.6) and run
"Disk Utility", "Verify Disk permissions" to fix the system permissions.
Then either get OO, Apple Works or if your users are lazy MS Office X
(excuse my language) to keep the learning curve down, try to upgrade Samba
to the latest version and take off.

> What problems can I anticipate?

*** You might have problems if your network is flaky. OS X's network
time-out sucks and will - in case of a connexion loss - give you the
coloured pizza pie (a coloured turning wheel instead of the sand clock).
Most of the time a simple Finder (OS X's XWindows) reset should be enough.
This will also help if you can't unmount a share.

Problems you might encounter if you don't patch OS X are -30, -46 and -50
errors (if I remember well) when copying files from or to a Samba server. It
would also happen when using windows servers.

Both patched or unpatched OS X's will choke on files with strange names like
"my very long file name that pisses everybody off except me.txt" or
apostrophe's, @, #, &, €, $, ^ and some other weird combinations. The error
you will get goes something like:  "Couldn't copy because the file couldn't
be found". Mind you, OS X allows the special characters to be used in file
names!

Also be careful with tar backups. Apple still uses those dam'n resource
forks and tar doesn't know how to deal with it. In my case I use rsync
running from cron on every desktop syncing to a Linux server.

There's an OS X "cp" (copy) binary which also copies resource forks. Handy
when you use the terminal.

OS X doesn't really use the files in /etc. Well it does but it's still not
sure about it. To be on the save side you can edit the *nix files like
you're used to (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, etc...) and load them into
"Netinfo Manager" with "niload".

p/ex.: To load /etc/passwd you type "niload  passwd  .  <   /etc/passwd"

Your friend is http://www.macosxhints.com for tips and tricks and
http://www.versiontracker.com for downloads.

At this point in time I don't have any specific problems other than error's
due to <put BOFH excuse here>.

--
Cheers,
Zoran.

Windows software isn't released, it's allowed to escape.