Mozilla printer problems

I'm having difficulties getting my cups printer to work with Mozilla.

The printer is located on a different box (server). But for this client, I can successfully print using 'cat foo | lpr' and Open Office documents as well..

But Mozilla tends to hang. There is a lot of traffic to the server in the ipp port, but nothing ever gets printed and Mozilla is effectively toast at this point. I have to 'kill' it.

my variable $MOZ_PRINTER_NAME seems to be null as far as I can tell. I started up Mozilla from a xterm window and the variable had no definition in the same xterm windows (mozilla; echo ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME})

I have found this mentioned a few times on Debian and Suse lists from google-ing, but I don't seem to find anyone who has resolved the matter.

Can anyone help?

this is my current printer configuration in Mozilla.
lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}
--
We have DIFFERENT amounts of HAIR --