Re: keeping partitions mounted read-only

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:16:57PM +0200, Hans Wilmer wrote:

> Thank you for your hints! I?ve already been trying to figure which files
> prevent the partition from being remounted with lsof. The problem with lsof
> is that a large number of files on /usr is listed, and I can?t tell which
> of them need to be closed and which can stay open.

I have always understood that *any* open files would prevent a
partition from being unmounted, and I assume the same is true for
remounting the partition as read-only.  Therefore, using this
assumption, *every* file listed via "lsof +D /usr" must be closed
before the kernel will permit the partition to be unmounted or
remounted.

But perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyone in the know care to set me straight?

--

Shaun Crossley
mailto:shaun@whatever.ca