Re: bonnie++: disastrous RAID 1/5 results

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2003.08.21.1254 +0200]:
> > Do all disks have DMA turned on?
>
> This might be the problem. I turn DMA on, always, in /etc/inittab.
> But it doesn't work. Check this:
>
> ailab:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

This was the problem, I had compiled the kernel for the wrong
chipset. Now it's fixed, now I have DMA, and now I get about 170% of
the read performance of the previously fast system. Write
performance dropped to about 99.7%. Cool.

I would still appreciate comments to the following:

> > Try with the defaults values for chunk size, algorithm and ext3 stride.
>
> Which are? I could not see any.
>
> > Use an external journal for ext3 that is located on a RAID1.
>
> Does this really increase performance if the RAID1 would be on the
> same disk(s)? I note that RAID1 give absolutely no speed improvement
> on writes. RAID5 does a little. And journals are more written than
> read, no?

`. `'`