Re: How to remove Exim ?

W.D. McKinney wrote:

Thanks Derrick,

I have tried to Gordon Pape's qmail but no go due to unable to remove
exim ?

# apt-get remove --purge exim
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  exim* mutt*
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 4724kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 33135 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mutt ...
Purging configuration files for mutt ...
Removing exim ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.prerm: update-inetd: command not found
dpkg: error processing exim (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
 exim

dpkg --purge exim
(Reading database ... 33051 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing exim ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim.prerm: update-inetd: command not found
dpkg: error processing exim (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
 exim

Well, update-inetd is in the netbase package.  Do you have that package
installed?  If not, install it, and try your purge again.

(I see that netbase is a "Recommends" for exim; apparently that is a bug
and it should be a "Requires").