fetchmail: choking on invalid headers

I'm having increasingly frequent problems with fetchmail choking on
invalid email headers.  The result is an error exit status (return code
= 2), and piling up of mail on my ISP's POP server.  Given my mail load
and the limited storage offered, this can lead to bounces in a day or
so.

As a result, I'm forced to manually telnet to my POP server and clean
out the junk manually.  That itslef is a pain, the other is that due to
limitations of the box processing mail (a 160 MHz hppa system), dropping
more than 40 or so messages at a time on it results in runaway
loadaverage (peaked today at 119 before losing access and pulling the
plug).  We've addressed this by setting an nproc limit of 30 for user
mail, and --max-children of 10 for spamassassin.

Fetchmail version:

ii  fetchmail      6.2.3-1        SSL enabled POP3, APOP, IMAP mail gatherer/f

Sample headers, from manual fetchmail session:

    +OK kmself has 695 messages (10098044 octets).
    retr 1
    +OK 3465 octets