Re: Linux defragmenter?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:03:36 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:23:04PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> > I just realized that I've never heard of a hard drive defragmenter
> > for Linux (ext2/ext3). Do I really live under a rock, or are they
> > really not used? If not, why?
>
> My understanding is that ext2 and ext3 do a good job at keeping
> themselves from getting fragmented.

This question gets asked a lot. Linux filesystems defragment themselves automatically - human intervention isn't needed. But to make it work properly, you do need to be sure that you keep some empty space (about 20%) on your partitions. The command "df -h" should tell you how much space is being used. Note that even with a Windows defragmenter, you still have this issue of needing empty space.

regards,
Robert