Re: Linux defragmenter?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:23:04 -0500 (CDT)
Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@msstate.edu> wrote:
> I just realized that I've never heard of a hard drive defragmenter for Linux
> (ext2/ext3). Do I really live under a rock, or are they really not used? If
> not, why?

    Google holds the answer.  Short form: FAT stores files in line.
Whereas ext2/3, as well as most other file systems after the discovery of
fire, have different algorithms for finding a large enough space for the file
and place it there.  As such fragmentation is a minor issue and short of
recopying all the files there isn't much need or effective way to defragment
the few fragmented files there are.