Help: procmail ignoring .procmailrc files in user dirs

Hello. I'm running procmail v3.22 with postfix on Debian.

My problem: The recipes in the main /etc/procmailrc file work fine but I also have some .procmailrc files in individual user directories (for invoking spamassassin, etc). As far as I can tell, procmail is ignoring these files. No procmail log is created in the user directory. It is my understanding that procmail is supposed to first process the main procmailrc file in /etc then look in the user's home dir and process .procmailrc if it exists. Is there some way of changing this behavior? Maybe I have it configured incorrectly.

I've been researching this for a while but I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. Any ideas much appreciated.