Newbie Hardware Question

I am about to purchase a new machine on which I hope to install Debian. I
was told by someone that I should insure that the new hardware will be Linux
compatible. I thought that one of Debian's claims to fame is that it runs on
so many different platforms. Perhaps, however, there are still hardware
items that it can not handle?

I am looking at what is, I believe, fairly mainstream x86 hardware, either a
Celeron 1.8G, Riva TNT 32MB screen card, 17" AOC screen, 256M DDR (no more
technical details available at present for this machine) or an AMD 2000Mhz,
Elitegroup (ECS) mobo, 3D-Force 32MB video card, MAG 786FS 17" monitor, 256M
DDR, Western Digital 40GB drive, details (half in English) at:
( http://www.exlmarket.co.il/exlmarket2/product-info2/116.1.html ).

Can anyone confirm for me that either of this machines will run Debian and
X-Windows without great difficulty? :)

Thank you,
Hershel

PS: If anyone also wants to convince me that it's worth the extra money
($90) for the second machine, feel free to (perhaps offline, though). :)