Support for UMC8673

Hi there, wonder if anyone can help me out with this.

I installed Debian on an old laptop, found that hard disk access is unusably slow, apparently this is because my disk controller, a UMC8673, is not supported by the kernel. I have kernel 2.2.20.

Any internet search on this points towards Pauline Middelink's homepage (http://www.polyware.nl/~middelink/En/hob-oss.html) where there is a kernel patch. However I can't figure out how to use this patch. I have emailed Pauline but she hasn't replied. Surely to use a patch like this I have to know which specific kernel version it is for, and this info doesn't seem to be given??

Alternatively maybe someone knows if I can get support for this controller by doing a kernel upgrade...? I haven't found an easy way of working out what features are included in a specific kernel version, apart from by getting it...

Thanks a lot
Chris Owen