Re: print manager - cups

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 03:24:08PM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
> I have a Xerox Docuprint 4512 laser printer, which has worked with various
> distros of Linux.  In some, I have to call it a 4508, as the 4512 driver is
> absent, and the 4512N doesn't work.  It is not a PS printer.
>
> Feeling adventurous, I hought i'd try cups with the latest install
> (unstable-ish).  I get a readable test print via the printing manager.  QCad
> prints to it perfectly normally.  But gimp prints postscript commands (or
> maybe it's pdf) one line per page for ever.  Once it has done that, and I
> have switched off the printer to save the dwindling supply of forest, the
> print queue is locked until I go and find the directory and delete it by
> hand.  I cannot remove the job using the print manager - "You don't have
> access to the requested resources".  (Seems like the opposite of Kenward
> Vaughan's problem).  I have put my username in group lpadmin to no avail. I
> thought I would give up and go back to LP/LPRng, which seemed to work fine
> under Woody.  No joy there either - when I select LP/LPRng in print manager
> there is no option to add a printer, and the xerox isn't listed.
>
> CUPS manual doesn't seem to say anything helpful and understandable to me.
> Nothing else obviously relevant on Google.  Perhaps my printer is not
> supported by cups.  But if so, how do I get back to reaching it via lp?
>
> Any ideas?

Well, you speak of at least one application which prints perfectly
normally. So you know there's nothing wrong with CUPS, ;-). To make
really sure, try sending a one-page postscript file to the printer using
the command-line tools lp or lpr (if you installed cupsys-bsd). If that
also works perfectly normally, it's the gimp. There was a thread a few
days ago, IIRC, dealing with gimp-print. You could probably find it in
the archives.

HTH, David

--
Happy Birthday, Debian!