Re: rms on debian

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 01:38:39AM -0500, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> > http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=260
> >
> > [ SNIP ]
> >
> >  RMS: When I recommend a GNU/Linux distribution, I choose based on
> > ethical considerations. Today I would recommend GNU/LinEx, the
> > distribution prepared by the government of Extremadura, because that's
> > the only installable distribution that consists entirely of free
> > software. If I knew of more than one such distribution, I would choose
> > between them based on practical considerations.
> >
> > [ SNIP ]
> >
> > So now that Debian is 10, RMS changes to another distro? What's up?
>
> We criticize our politicians for having no backbone.
> We criticize RMS for sticking to his principles.

Or "We criticize RMS for being RMS."  Although I don't always agree with
him, it's becoming fashionable to bash RMS whenever possible, whether it
makes sense or not.  If he had suggested Debian instead of LinEx there
would be people that criticized him for the very reason he cited in the
interview- although probably not on this list. :)

>From what I've seen, there has always been a contingent of
Debian developers that have been in favor of removing non-free
altogether, especially since mozilla became usable, so I doubt RMS's
viewpoint is unique.

Rob