Re: Yet another HDIO_SET_DMA failed problem

hi ya tim

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Timothy McDaniel wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 tmcd@panix.com wrote:
> > >     hdparm -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hda
> > >     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: operation not permitted
> >
> > do you know what the "-k 1" setting does ???
>
>     -k Get/set the keep_settings_over_reset flag for the drive.  When

yes ...  i leave the "-k 1" option off ... i never use it

> > looks like the alim15x3 module is the right choice ..
>
> Would you please explain that?  I just wrote that I tried it and
> bandwidth DECREASED by a factor of 4.  That hardly seems like the
> correct driver.

am saying that if the chipset ont he mb is an ALI 1533,
than that module is what you need

if the result is a slower system, it can be due to other
reasons too ....
	a) like bad cables
 	b) remove the cdrom from the cable with the disk and
	   see what happens
	c) other issues ... trick question is which one ..
	   ( it's unlikely due to drivers for the chipset )
	d) get a virgin, unpatched kernel from kernel.org

what happens when you do
	insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/alim15x3.o
	lsmod

> As I mentioned in my original e-mail:
>
>     (Other parameters (-c, -u, -A, -a, -m) have no noticable effect on
>     the speed reported by "hdparm -t", whether under my normal kernel
>     or under Knoppix.)

-u 1  will make your system run faster over a 24hr period
-c 3  will make your system run faster over a 24hr period
-m 16 will make your system run faster over a 24hr period

	faster == as if you had the next faster cpu in the motherboard

	our hdparm tweeked XP-1700+ outperforming the XP-1800+ in our case
	( everything being identical except for the hdparm options )

i dont play with the a/A options

( test is just a simple count the number of infinite kernel compile ..
  over and over )

> The only other drive on that cable is a CD drive, which sat idle
> during the tests.  I didn't touch the cable while switching between

try to remove that cdrom and see what happens

c ya
alvin